Tips and Tricks for Making Cheddar Jalapeño Savory Donuts recipe step by step.And you’ll wonder where they’ve been your whole life. You can serve it for any occasion or in holiday and kids love it in birthdays.It is the perfect combo of donuts, cheddar cheese, and a little spicy jalapeño.
- ¾ cup (6floz/170ml) whole milk
- 2 tablespoons (1oz/28g) butter , melted
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 2 ½ cups (12 1/2oz/355g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 3-4 medium jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups (4oz/115g) grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Oil for frying (veg, sunflower, canola)
how to make Cheddar Jalapeño Savory Donuts recipe step by step
- In a small jug, whisk the milk , butter and heat gently until the butter is just get melt and the milk is slightly get warm. You can do this step in the microwave for a few seconds or on the
- Once the butter has melted then whisk in the egg. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt and mix together.
- To the dry ingredients stir in the cheese and jalapenos.
- With the mixer running on medium speed, slowly add just enough wet ingredients until the dough comes together and cleans the bottom of the bowl. Note you might not need every drop of the liquid.
- Continue to mix on low speed for 3-4 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for a few minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Grease a large bowl with a little oil, place the dough inside and turn to coat with oil. Cover tightly with cling wrap, cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1-1 ½ hours.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to about ½” thick and cut out rounds and holes using a 3 inch and 1 1/2 inch biscuit cutters.
- Place donuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with cling wrap and a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise until the cut edges are rounded off (about 25 to 30 minutes.)
- Pour roughly 1 1/2 inches of oil into a heavy-bottomed pot and pre-heat to a medium/medium-low heat (roughly 345F). Allow to heat for a few minutes before adding your dough.
- Fry the donuts about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. The donut holes will take a little less time. Fry in 2-3 batches as to not overcrowd the pan. Carefully place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Enjoy the freshly cooked donuts within a few hours. Store any leftovers at room temperature for up to 24 hours in an airtight container.
Tips and Tricks for Making Cheddar Jalapeño Savory Donuts
- If using ‘instant’ yeast add it directly to the flour. ‘Active’ yeast can be used but needs to be sponged in water first.
- Cheddar and Jalapeño Work So Well Together.It’s always nice to balance a bit of spice with another ingredient that is somewhat creamy and milder in nature. I choose to use red cheddar that has a sharp flavor but also is smooth and creamy.
- I think the contrast together makes these ingredients best buddies. Also, if you are a little shy when it comes to spice, this combination might be perfect for you as you get just a little spicy kick amongst all that gooey cheese.
- Also these donuts are best enjoyed the day they are fried.
- Then add cooked meat, green onions, or different types of cheese.
- Don’t be shy with the jalapeños.
- You can Make Other Flavors of Savory Donuts! You can replace the amount/volume I used of the peppers and cheese and add bacon, green onions, and/or different cheeses to give them an extra kick. I just ask you don’t add in an ingredient that is wet or high in moisture or it will change your dough resealing in a very different finished.
- you need are two round cutters (3 inches and 1 1/2 inches) to create that classic donut shape. No need to go out and buy an actual expensive donut cutter that you will only use once.
- The dough can be made the day before and kept in the fridge to be cooked the next day.
Bake and Store
- You can bake these doughnuts at 350°F (180°C) for 12-15 minutes, but I think they are yummiest fried.
- Store your savory donuts in an airtight container at room temperature. No need to keep these guys in the fridge. The texture will be much more enjoyable when held at room temperature.
- I should also say that donuts are one of those treats that are best if you eat it in the first 12-18 hours. They are still fresh and crisp and soft. For best results, don’t hang around, just dive in. However if you do have some leftovers, store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days.